A Case Study on the nonprofit Golden Civic Foundation
At Small Business CRM Coach, our goal is to help small business owners and mid-size businesses make decisions based on facts, data, and experience. The core of our business is helping you implement the best CRM software solution for the way you do business. To understand what we do, we wanted to share a case study with you about one of our Salesforce clients, Golden Civic Foundation (GCF).
Our Client’s Story
Heather Schneider, GCF Executive Director, took a CRM workshop with us in March 2019 at Connects Workspace. Before this workshop, Heather was managing the foundation using spreadsheets and email. It was time-consuming and challenging to gather information for the activities of the organization. Heather had investigated using Salesforce years before, but she didn't know how to get started. Thinking about how to go about this implementation was overwhelming her. Business owners have common questions about using CRM systems as a tool, and Heather was no different. Here is what she wanted to know:
- How do I begin learning how to use Salesforce?
- What exactly can Salesforce do for my nonprofit?
- Which is the best CRM strategy for our goals?
The first step was a discovery call for discussing her main pain points and determining CRM goals. We discussed the scope and timeline for her project. Then it was our turn to ask questions:
- Are you already established with the Nonprofit Success Pack (NPSP)?
- How comfortable is your team with using cloud-based software tools?
- What kind of information would help keep your donors and your community engaged?
We presented a Small Business CRM Coach proposal to the board with the nonprofit’s goals in mind and recommended the best way to move forward. We started the Salesforce NPSP implementation that June by setting up an account with Salesforce and introducing Heather to one of their account managers. They supported her through the approval process for a free version designed specifically for nonprofit organizations. Her organization could have up to ten users on the platform for free! Heather learned her CRM solution was affordable.
How They Solved Their Greatest Challenges
Golden Civic Foundation hosts two major fundraisers each year - Golden Summer Jam and the Gala & Auction (a highly anticipated event). We needed to get their team on track and running as smoothly as possible in time for these events. We had already discovered the biggest challenges and were ready to make the CRM system work for them.
Here are just a few of the pieces we implemented:
- We customized Salesforce to track donations and distributions of GCF funds being provided to their small business community
- We used Salesforce to track the process to receive applications from small business organizations who apply for GCF grants
- We configured the integration of Salesforce with Give Lively to create a “donate now” option on their website and launch their monthly giving program. This integration allows GCF to receive the money directly into their bank account. For each donation received, a donation record is created in Salesforce, and a fully automated process receives and manages their recurring donations
- We trained their team on how to use Salesforce NPSP to track contributions from households and other organizations
- We set up their app to segment volunteer contacts, and now it is easy for them to send emails to all their volunteers straight out of Salesforce when they need to ask for help or provide information about new volunteer assignments
- We provided training and guidance on the use of Salesforce Campaigns and how to send mass emails, allowing GCF to streamline their communications about their events and programs
- We classified configured reports to group donations to mirror their QuickBooks configuration, allowing them to reconcile/match fundraising efforts with their accounting program
- We made a dashboard to track fundraising efforts and program giving, and so much more
It is critical for nonprofit organizations to track donors and fundraising dollars while measuring their impact. The Salesforce Nonprofit Success Pack was developed to make tracking all of your contact information, donors, and donations as easy as possible!
What We Can Do for You
No organization is too small to use a CRM system. Setting up your first CRM can be a daunting task, and adopting new software always takes some time and specialized skills. The good news is that Salesforce can be tweaked to do exactly what your organization needs it to do. The Nonprofit Success Pack is specifically designed to focus on helping your organization.
We recognize the importance of your mission and want to help you do more by:
- Taking inventory of all of your tools, including marketing resources and your website, and finding the best way to integrate them with the Nonprofit Success Pack
- Implementing the best strategies for tracking donor information and donations
- Increasing overall efficiency throughout your organization
- Capturing data and teaching you how to use it
- Helping you raise more money while cutting your expenses
We have worked with so many amazing nonprofits that are reaching new heights all because of CRMs and systems that are focused on their goals.
This case study of Golden Civic Foundation and their Executive Director, Heather, is just one of several success stories. The process of researching your needs and evaluating software solutions that fit those criteria can be overwhelming and time-consuming. Small Business CRM Coach will help keep this process streamlined without sacrificing detailed research and thorough evaluations.
The Right Tools for Your Nonprofit
When you purchase a tool after a complete assessment of your business needs and processes, the adoption and utilization rates will be significantly higher, as will your return on investment (ROI). You’ll have more time to take care of your constituents! Learn more about our nonprofit packages
We’re experts at determining CRM goals for any nonprofit or for-profit business. During a preliminary audit, we conduct interviews with you, your employees, or team members to better understand the challenges you regularly face with your current system. By examining your processes, we know what data you want to capture and determine how to track the activity of your organization in the new CRM system.
How are you tracking your contacts, clients, or donors? Is your business or organization growing? Do you need a better CRM system, or are you having a hard time figuring out how to use all your features? Contact us for Small Business CRM Coaching and Consulting to help you choose between desktop applications or cloud-based solutions with more data storage options and access across digital devices.Get the most out of your CRM by reaching out for a Discovery Session to assess your situation.